Health Policy Specialist - Community Health Choice
Community Health Choice, Inc. (Community) is a non-profit managed care organization (MCO), licensed by the Texas Department of Insurance. Through its network of more than 10,000 providers and 94 hospitals, Community serves over 400,000 Members with the following programs:
• Medicaid State of Texas Access Reform (STAR) program for low-income children and pregnant women
• Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for the children of low-income parents, which includes CHIP Perinatal benefits for unborn children of pregnant women who do not qualify for Medicaid STAR
• Health Insurance Marketplace Plans that offer individual health coverage that includes preventive care, emergency services, prescription drugs, and hospitalization available to all, regardless of pre-existing conditions.
• Community Health Choice (HMO D-SNP), a Medicare Advantage Dual Special Needs plan for people with both Medicare and Medicaid that combines Medicare Part A and Part B benefits, Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage, and Medicaid benefits with additional health benefits like dental, vision, transportation, and more.
Improving Members' experiences is at the heart of every Community position. We strive every day to make sure that our Members have access to the high-quality health care they need and deserve.
Community is accredited by URAC for its health plan operations. We offer care management programs for asthma, diabetes, and high-risk pregnancy. An affiliate of the Harris Health System (Harris Health), Community is financially self-sufficient and receives no financial support from Harris Health or from Harris County taxpayers.
Skills / Requirements
JOB SUMMARY: The qualified candidate will perform research, analysis and prepare reports for Community Health Choice (Community) executives regarding various issues relating to state and federal Healthcare policy that affects Community. The candidate will also track, research and report on various industry trends, issues and best practices for Community leadership. Candidate must display proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Basic knowledge of managed care, legislative and regulatory processes is required.
1. Education/Specialized Training/Licensure:
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Political Science, Healthcare Administration or related field.
- Master's preferred.
2. Work Experience (Years and Area):
- Two (2) years of experience in Managed Care and/or health policy analysis.
- Master's Degree in Economics, Political Science, Healthcare Administration, and Public Health may be used to substitute work experience.
3. Management Experience (Years and Area): None
4. Equipment Operated: PC and Microsoft Office applications
1. Communication Skills:
Above Average Verbal (Heavy Public Contact)
Bilingual Skills Required? No
Writing /Composing Reports
2. Other Skills:
Analytical, Mathematics, Medical Terms, Statistical
P.C., MS Word
3. Advanced Education:
Bachelor's Degree Major: Economics, policy studies, healthcare or related major
Master's Degree Major: Public Health, Public Policy, Public Administration, Political Science.
4. Work Schedule: Flexible Weekdays Monday through Friday 8am - 5pm
5. Other Requirements: Diligent, accurate data entry, well organized, attention to detail. Familiar with U.S. Census, American Community Survey and other sources of population data required.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Chief Compliance and Quality Officer
EMPLOYEES SUPERVISED: None