Staff Attorney - 153647
Community Health Choice, Inc. (Community) is a non-profit managed care organization (MCO), licensed by the Texas Department of Insurance. Through its network of more than 10,000 providers and 94 hospitals, Community serves over 400,000 Members with the following programs:
• Medicaid State of Texas Access Reform (STAR) program for low-income children and pregnant women
• Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for the children of low-income parents, which includes CHIP Perinatal benefits for unborn children of pregnant women who do not qualify for Medicaid STAR
• Health Insurance Marketplace Plans that offer individual health coverage that includes preventive care, emergency services, prescription drugs, and hospitalization available to all, regardless of pre-existing conditions.
Improving Members' experiences is at the heart of every Community position. We strive every day to make sure that our Members have access to the high-quality health care they need and deserve.
Community is accredited by URAC for its health plan operations. We offer care management programs for asthma, diabetes, and high-risk pregnancy. An affiliate of the Harris Health System (Harris Health), Community is financially self-sufficient and receives no financial support from Harris Health or from Harris County taxpayers.
The staff attorney serves as assistant in-house counsel for Community Health Choice, Inc. (Community) and provides support to Community's Vice President & General Counsel. This position is responsible for providing legal review and advice on legal questions, compliance matters, and other related issues. The staff attorney is also responsible for day-to-day legal activities such as, but not limited to, contract review, drafting, and negotiation, legal research and writing, litigation management, including responses to subpoenas and open records requests, and preparing reports.
- Doctorate of Jurisprudence/JD degree and license to practice law in State of Texas or will be licensed within calendar year of hire. LLM, MPH or MBA degree a plus.
- One year of experience with healthcare, corporate, labor, and/or administrative law preferred with managed care organizations or health systems including full or part time legal positions, internships, clerkships, or fellowships.
- Internship, Law Clerk experience and/or coursework in Health Law and exposure to HIPAA law a plus
- Knowledge of health insurance and Medicaid regulations and compliance requirements preferred.
- Familiarity with HIPAA regulations.
- Effective collaboration and problem solving skills.
- Strong written and oral communication abilities.
Benefits and EEOC
Community employees’ benefits are provided by Harris Health. These benefits are designed to provide you with flexibility and choices in meeting your specific needs.
Community is an Equal Opportunity Employer.